Transitioning from 2d to 3d autocad drawings

Monday, September 1, 2008

Transitioning from 2D to 3D AutoCAD drawings 106


Continuing with my Transitioning from 2D to 3D series, I’ll finish creating the 3D walls using the 2D floor plan.

I could use the EXTRUDE command like I did for the interior walls in “Transitioning… 105” or I could use the PRESSPULL functionality like I did for the columns in “Transitioning … 102”. Given the choice of these two methods, I usually prefer to use the PRESSPULL functionality for two reasons. One, it doesn’t matter if the boundary is made of closed objects. The PRESSPULL functionality will produce a solid in either case. And two, I don’t have to launch a command. I can simply press the Ctrl-Alt key combination and pick inside the boundary.

When using the PRESSPULL functionality, you must ensure that the entire bounded area is visible in the display. For example, the bounded area of the magenta lines (below) is completely visible on the display so if I use Ctrl-Alt and pick inside that area (the very small space between the parallel lines), AutoCAD can determine the boundary. However, if I use Ctrl-alt and pick inside the area between the parallel blue lines, that area is unbounded on my display (unless I zoom out) so AutoCAD will be unable to determine the boundary and the PRESSPULL operation will fail.

33presspull

If you have a very large floor plan (or other bounded area), you might find it difficult to keep the full area within the display while still zooming in enough to pick inside the boundary. In some cases, it might be easiest to join all the segments to form a closed polyline and then use the EXTRUDE command rather than trying to use PRESSPULL.

In my case, the bounded area is just small enough to fit within the display and still enable me to pick within the walls.

  1. Zoom, pan, and orbit so that the bounded area is completely visible AND there is enough room to pick inside of it.
  2. Press Ctrl-Alt and pick inside the bounded area.
  3. Drag the cursor in the direction you wish to extrude.
  4. Enter the height of the extrusion or pick a point. You can use object grips or the Properties palette to change the height even after the solid is created.
    34presspull

View Animation

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Perfection' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP