Transitioning from 2d to 3d autocad drawings

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Transitioning from 2D to 3D AutoCAD drawings 108


In this series, I previously converted the structural elements and the walls from 2D to 3D objects. I turned off the structural elements (columns and beams) and turned on the lighting layer so that I can convert the 2D lighting fixtures to 3D.40fixtures

Fortunately, my original 2D drawing included a reflected ceiling plan that used blocks to represent the various light fixtures. I can use what I already know about block editing to update the block definitions to 3D. As I mentioned in a previous post, I can use various methods for editing the block definition; however, I suggest using the REFEDIT command. Once I’m in the reference edit mode, I can use any of my 3D tools to create the 3D model. I can use the PRESSPULL or EXTRUDE functionality that I described in previous posts or I can use primitive objects (BOX, SPHERE, CYLINDER, etc). I prefer to use primitive objects, when possible, because they have the most editing flexibility.

  1. Zoom into a light fixture.
  2. Select one of the block references, right-click and choose Edit Block In-place. This launches the REFEDIT command.
  3. In the Reference Edit dialog box, choose OK.
  4. From the Dashboard, select Box.
    41fixtures_1
  5. With the endpoint object snap on, pick opposite corners of the existing rectangle.
  6. Drag the cursor up and pick a point or enter a value for the height. Even if you don't know the exact height, you can specify some value and then easily edit it later using grips or the properties palette. Keep in mind, however, that you must first access the block definition just as you would when editing 2D block geometry.
  7. On the Refedit toolbar, choose Save Reference Edits. All of the block references for that particular type of light fixture will update with the new 3D geometry just as you would expect them to do when you make 2D edits to the block definition.

I can repeat this procedure for the other light fixtures. Notice, however, that the light fixtures are on the floor. In a future post, I’ll show you one (of many) methods that will enable you to move them to the proper height.

43fixtures

View Animation

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Perfection' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP